Call for Applications: MENA Fellowship at GFC
We are looking for a female/male/diverse individual who is native to the Arabic language and residing in Cyprus, irrespective of their residence status and is interested in engaging voluntarily in the humanitarian and social field.
The fellowship aims to enhance GFC’s outreach to the Arabic-speaking refugee, asylum-seeking and migrant community to establish and maintain regular contact, understand their needs and concerns, and encourage their participation in GFC’s services, classes, workshops, and events. The fellowship position also aims to promote and support MENA (Middle East and North African region) community engagement, resilience, and active participation in the Cypriot host society’s social, economic, and cultural life. Furthermore, it seeks to provide training and field experience in a nurturing environment to individuals of MENA backgrounds to enhance their professional and personal capacity.
Duration: October 2023 – March 2024.
Work hours: 20 – 40 hours monthly.
Compensation: This is a volunteering, non-remunerative position. Fellows will be given a small allowance to cover their transportation and other work-related expenses.
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus (Primarily).
How to Apply: Interested applicants should complete the following form by 01/09/2023: https://forms.gle/2w73dgogUB1saSkG7
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish informal dialogue and communication lines with Arabic-speaking refugees, asylum-seekers, and migrants in order to gain a better understanding of the population, their concerns, and priorities;
- Participate in several of GFC’s services, classes, workshops, and events for Arabic interpretation and cultural mediation;
- Assist GFC in disseminating information on GFC’s classes, workshops, and events as well as available services and their providers to the MENA community;
- Translate social media posts, announcements, etc., into Arabic;
- Contribute to the planning, monitoring, and evaluating of future community outreach and engagement activities.
Essential minimum qualifications and experience required:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Arabic; knowledge of Farsi/Dari or Greek is an asset;
- Commitment to the fields of humanitarian and social work;
- Flexibility regarding working hours;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Basic computer skills.
What we offer: The fellowship is voluntary. You will be given a small allowance for transportation and other work-related expenses. In addition, we will provide you with ongoing field experience, training opportunities for humanitarian and social work and other practical and community support.
Organisational context: Generation for Change CY (GFC) is a grassroots non-profit organisation based in Nicosia, Cyprus, and composed of individuals of different backgrounds working together and striving for a diverse and inclusive society where everyone has equitable access to opportunities in Cyprus. The organisation’s work is based on three pillars of action: Humanitarian Aid, Integration & Empowerment, and Advocacy & Interculturalism.
GFC is committed to positive social change by supporting vulnerable and marginalised communities – including but not limited to persons of low socioeconomic status, refugees, asylum seekers, migrants, and any persons facing discrimination. We seek to harness the power of diversity to advocate a fair and inclusive society.
The first pillar, Humanitarian Aid, includes supporting families and individuals in need with food, hygiene essentials and other basic items. The main activity in this field is the Donation Drive, providing weekly support boxes to the most vulnerable members of our communities. The second pillar, Integration & Empowerment, includes services, classes, workshops and training on language development, digital skills, employability, and sports programmes. Our main programmes are e-Learning for Change (language courses), the Employability Hub (employment-related services, classes, and workshops) and Youth Path (language and digital skills courses for minors). In addition, we offer free HIV and Syphilis testing. The third pillar, Advocacy & Interculturalism, includes cultural and awareness-raising advocacy events to promote intercultural exchange and raise awareness on social issues.
If you are interested or require more information, don’t hesitate to contact us via email at email@example.com.